FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest

Maril

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as Sam is Doman to complete the Cyan reference I will likely be happy with it.

That's the most sensible location for it to come from, but I'd be a little remiss if the expansion focuses on Ala Mhigo (big IF, I know) and the first job revealed is... Doman. Great.

Now, this is assuming of course that Ala Mhigo is the crux of the story and ignoring anything from 3.4 or 3.5. How awesome would it be if we end up not just with Ala Mhigo, but pushing back against the Empire as a whole? We meet up with the Doman resistance, similar to the Ala Mhigan resistance, and they've got a whole slew of new toys for us. We start taking back homelands and something something WAR.

...I have reversed my opinion and badly, badly need this in my life now.

Don't worry, the next jobs will obviously be based on the goofiest roles ever, like a mounted character fighting with a megaphone, a blitzball player and his ball, and a combat culinarian with a fork that can consume their enemies.

On a more serious note, I always assumed that we might very well use Ala-Migho as a base city like Ishgard in 3.0, and then go all around, including garlic territories. Probably eventually meet the emperor and that kind of stuff...

I would really love to see the garlic capital, but I'm not sure that would happen. Two big cities in one go? Not sure.

A major move against the Garleans with an expansion that visits two of the major outpost cities would be amazing...I have no faith in it, but would be amazing. Doma and Ala Mhigo...ugh that would be too much for my heart, and the RP would be awesome!

I really do hope for dancer, I want Roe male dancers twirling around the field like woah.

A major move against the Garleans with an expansion that visits two of the major outpost cities would be amazing...I have no faith in it, but would be amazing. Doma and Ala Mhigo...ugh that would be too much for my heart, and the RP would be awesome!

I really do hope for dancer, I want Roe male dancers twirling around the field like woah.

How to scare off mobs 101 with male roe dancers.... 

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Doma fleshed out since the introduction to them, and Ala Mhigo would make for a nice outlying desert city. the Sam and dancers could definitely be wonderful additions to the class list, though I've some weapon reservations when it comes to Sam. Mayaps if they go to Ala Mhigo, would we possibly see Onion knight or another spellblade? I don't think that increasing the cap this next expansion would do us any good though right now, maybe in another one or two would be better suited for later players.

If 3.0 was about the sky, perhaps 4.0 (if set in Ala Mhigo) will be set underground.

The Duskwight caverns could be an entry point across the fortified border from Gyr Abania to the Shroud, not to mention the 'grand finale' could be set in the unearthed area in Ala Mhigo where they originally found the Ultima Weapon.

A RDM would never work in this game right now, as the endgame is all about heal checks or DPS checks - neither of which would see a RDM as being useful. The Meta Demands Specialization, and RDM's are too middling to offer anything of worth at cap. All it would do is serve a few roleplayers' interest, and we know how this or any other MMO feels about that.

Any class that's a call back will be reworked as much as possible to fit into the trinity. As such, RDM as tank. You're welcome.

BLU can work as any of the three, but tank can work if you make their abilities just work on themselves and rework others in ways unseen before - player Bad Breath as an aggro grabber? Yes.

Other than the classes that have already been reused or reworked (E.G.: AST for TIM), anything's on the table as far as I'm concerned. SAM can be tank (heavy armor, Bladecatch, etc.) or DPS (Gil Toss, Sword Break from FFT, etc.)

The only one that I can think is completely off the table is Mime or any of the special classes from FFT (and even then, we got Machinist so that's not even as much a truism as I'd like to admit!) Mime is, simply put, too bland beyond it's mimic skill, and they won't let people have that. Even the Bravely series has rolled Mime into Freelancer these days.

This fall is going to be fantastic. New Pokemon game, new FFXIV expansion, and my birthday. :D

Also, RIFT is the first game I can think of off the top of my head having mage tanks. They had everything come to think of it, even rogue tanks and heals.

I'm hoping that we only get one new class for 4.0 so there's more time for development elsewhere as well as more room to tweak the existing classes by combining some abilities or even removing a few of the more lacklustre ones. There's a genuine risk of needless button bloat if the existing abilities are joined with a bunch of new ones.

I also do not want to see a new playable race added just yet. I'd rather see them focus instead on expanding the options for the existing playable races. I would very much like to be able to play a Highlander with classically handsome features and real eyebrows. I also want every race to have a muscle tone slider and more options for scars/distinct facial features.

Mumbles into my hand.

I hope they start phasing out PS3 support this expac.

What? Graeham reminded me I still want my horns and face preset to be separate options. So Aghurlal can have curly-forward ones, like he does in my original artwork of him, without losing his babyface...

Also housing item limit.

I mean, I would hope they provide a good 6-12 months of notice, so that people who only play on PS3 have a decent amount of time to obtain a PC or a PS4. And I would also hope they provide a solid method of transferring PS3 licenses to other platforms for little or no cost.

But nonetheless. If they want to keep moving forward with the tech used in the game, at some point they're gonna have to throw in the towel on the 10-year-old hardware...

Samurai is a given at this point to be fair. Yoshi-P has stated that he wanted it to be in the last expac so yeah...

As for what I personally want...More Doman lore please! Or even better, let us go to Doma in a bid to retake it. Honestly, I think that's wht we're going to start seeing. The Eorzean Alliance (now with added Ishgard!) slowly taking back the territory that the Garlean Empire has seized. Do I think this will go on for a few expansions? Oh yeah! They're probably going to drag it out a bit to fit in other plot lines, but thats okay! More expansions!

Jobs wise I'd love to see a new healer. Maybe a dancer or something similar. They can use fans as their weapons and it would be so aestetically gorgeous to see. I know we have plenty of healers already but it's my main role and I love being spoiled for choice. DPS I want to second Red Mage (don't beat me up please!) or Samurai. Tank I have no clue on. I rarely play tank and only really levelled DRK and PLD for the sake of having a well rounded character... What I think will be interesting is what level these new jobs will come in at. The previous expac had them start at 30, so maybe they'll keep it like that or go for 35 to keep the trend with having you half way there already.

Lastly, new races. I'd really like to see Viera as they are now. Or at least a less "pretty" and "hyur with animal ears" race. The original designs for the Au Ra were amazing and somewhat monstrous. I want to see them move away from the cute little girl aesthetic. I know it isn't going to happen since they're a Japanese company, but I sincerely hope it will.

Anyway...that's my two pence.

I really hope if they add a new race that they will give us something more interesting than jailbait waifus. Twelve be damned on au ra.

But yeah, I'd sooner see the announcement of "Hey no PS3. We are giving you all a new character creator! Enjoy!"

Well to be fair, for the Au'ra, they introduced them like the refugees of Othard that just came in. They could just be another wave since well. Garlics gonna garlic.

Not really my priorities at any point. New races are probably extremely costly to create and insert ingame, and I would rather more budget dedicated to the story, the screenplay, the environments, etc.

What saddens me is that players complained that the story dialogs were too lenghty, and SE cut them to bare bones. I really hate those players. If you don't want to read, then skip them ffs.

There are a lot of news written here and, at first, I would like to say sorry if someone asked about it. Is there some information on what we can expect from the new expansion?

I noticed that the developers are devoted to this game, because they constantly release new things, not only dungeons, but also new quests concerned the main plot, which is as far as I know rare nowadays to meet among MMORPG.

I am also curious whether they take into consideration the opinions shared by players and implement players' ideas into the game or they have their own visions and from time to time they refer to players.

I could see Red Mage being a tanking mage, actually. Here's more or less how I'd imagine it working:

Melee skills with the rapier encompass your single-target attacks and general threat rotation. 

Ranged skills with elemental magic encompass your pull, interrupt, your AOE, your DOT, etc. If they want to emulate a "using thaumaturgy" theme, they could make the DOT be lightning style, the AOE be fire style, and the pull and interrupt be ice style.

Defensively, as a puny clothie, you'd rely on sky-high parrying buffs (because fencing) to compensate for melee defense (while your magic defense would already be pretty good because clothie). Where's the "conjurer" theme come into play? Self-heals, of course. No long-delay like the Warrior one, it's meant to be used regularly as an MP consumer.

Now we add CNJ and THM as the cross-class skills, so you load up Surecast, Swiftcast, Blizzard II (perhaps a passive of the class is that all ice spells have increased threat, so this serves as this class's version of Flash, etc), Cure, and Stoneskin.

Add in three "stances" (I mean, being a mage, you wouldn't call them stances, but whatever) that can be switched off-GCD... Umbral stance increases the threat of your ice magic and raises your MP regen, Astral stance increases the damage and MP cost of your fire magic and nulls your MP regen, and Succor stance causes your healing spells to become instant cast.

I could see it. It could be an interesting challenge in gameplay to keep all the plates spinning - you'd have to be stance-dancing constantly to be at peak effectiveness.

Defensively, as a puny clothie, you'd rely on sky-high parrying buffs (because fencing) to compensate for melee defense (while your magic defense would already be pretty good because clothie). Where's the "conjurer" theme come into play? Self-heals, of course. No long-delay like the Warrior one, it's meant to be used regularly as an MP consumer.

Parrying is complete trash at damage mitigation, unfortunately.

Parrying is complete trash at damage mitigation, unfortunately.

It also doesn't work on magic. It's important to remember that SE DOES want homogenization on their classes, for the sake of not excluding people based on the class they want to play. It's difficult stylistically for players, but it means that you'll always have a possible place in the game. They learned a very harsh lesson with 2.0 Warrior (and another one with 3.0 Warrior).

Viera are by far one of my most favorite races across the FF universe next to perhaps the miqo'te and the Ancients/Allagans/Elder races usually only seen in the backstory lore of games. I'd love to see them incorporated, however I'm not sure how they would fit in the coming scope of what is being laid out for the expansion.

Given how much SE gave us overall with HW and how they made mention before that they likely wouldn't be doing an expansion of such magnitude this time around, I'm guessing that we'll mostly just have the new content, new areas, MAYBE some new classes...but likely not races.

Leaning towards the thought they might do something similar to WoW: one expac gives us new races, classes, areas, all that biz! Then they do trade offs: one expac has new areas and classes but no new races, one expac gives more area and a new race but no new classes, etc etc etc.

Or they could say #yolo and give us something new in a patch like they did with NIN.

It also doesn't work on magic. It's important to remember that SE DOES want homogenization on their classes, for the sake of not excluding people based on the class they want to play. It's difficult stylistically for players, but it means that you'll always have a possible place in the game. They learned a very harsh lesson with 2.0 Warrior (and another one with 3.0 Warrior).

Honestly if they made RDM tank, and IF they made Parrying their main damage mitigation mechanic, you'd see a trait that made your tank stance able to parry magic. Of this I am quite sure.

I'd rather they made a Parrying overhaul.

SE has said they're retooling parry to not be completely, utterly worthless but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Parrying and Evasion/Dodge are both garbage right now. If they DO opt to bring back a parry tank, I suspect them to throw that on SAM. It's similar to the original FFXI concept and really, RDM would feel so weird as a tank. It's never been a tank (barring hilariously broken implementation in, again, FFXI and abusing evasion and ninja tricks).

I can't wait for a reveal so I can stop walking myself in circles over this. I've spent so much time thinking about it already.

If they go with SAM as tank, I think they'd borrow a note from Bravely Default/Second with active parry/counters rather than actually fix the stat like they said they would for the HW patch cycle.

It'd be an interesting tank mechanic, much more involved than just welp pump stats and immediately reduce damage.

As I've often said, I don't really care what classes they put in or what they do with them, so long as they're fun.