Maintenance Rage Thread

Login Limitation After Emergency Maintenance (Aug. 25): Follow-up 4

As we previously announced, we are continuing to limit the number of logins in order to address the high server load. We are slowly lifting the login restriction, so if you are currently unable to login, please try again at a later time.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing everyone, but we would like to ask for your continued cooperation to make this a stable environment.

This was just posted via the Twitter feed seventeen minutes ago.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least this thread has managed to remain relatively tame compared to the sort of comments being posted on other FFXIV related sites. I shouldn't be surprised, but it's a shame how much entitlement and rot exists elsewhere within the community. I do wonder how some of the more horrid posters manage to function in the real world without bursting a blood vessel each time their routine is interrupted by issues that can't really be avoided.

Heh.  You haven't been around many MMOs have you?  You should totally check out the General Discussions forum or the Customer Support/Technical Support sections of the World of Warcraft forums on maintenance day.  Especially if it gets extended.

Something others don't seem to realize is that Americans and Japanese have different work ethics.  People are expecting Yoshi-P and his team to act like American workers.  They're most likely too focused on the problem.  Which is good.  

At least this thread has managed to remain relatively tame compared to the sort of comments being posted on other FFXIV related sites. I shouldn't be surprised, but it's a shame how much entitlement and rot exists elsewhere within the community. I do wonder how some of the more horrid posters manage to function in the real world without bursting a blood vessel each time their routine is interrupted by issues that can't really be avoided.

Heh.  You haven't been around many MMOs have you?  You should totally check out the General Discussions forum or the Customer Support/Technical Support sections of the World of Warcraft forums on maintenance day.  Especially if it gets extended.

I've seen a lot of that myself. It's a real shame, since all it really serves to accomplish is drive away enthusiastic players from posting on the official boards of most MMO's. I often asked players I met on WoW as to why they didn't post on the official site and the answer was almost always along the lines of 'it's an awful place'.

As we previously announced, we are continuing to limit the number of logins in order to address the high server load. We are slowly lifting the login restriction, so if you are currently unable to login, please try again at a later time.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing everyone, but we would like to ask for your continued cooperation to make this a stable environment.

The link the tweet takes me to was posted at 11:28 am... are they reposting old news?

90000 survivor

3102 survivor

1017 survivor

:D  Hopefully I'll get in tonight! I can't decide if I want to make a putzing around character on a less populated server for times like this.

I thought about it, but it just seems kind of pointless since once the servers come back up I'll just abandon the character and never play it again.

Then again if I run out of other things to do I probably will anyway.

I've seen a lot of that myself. It's a real shame, since all it really serves to accomplish is drive away enthusiastic players from posting on the official boards of most MMO's. I often asked players I met on WoW as to why they didn't post on the official site and the answer was almost always along the lines of 'it's an awful place'.

Well, it is for the most part a terrible place.  You have to have thick skin if you're going to step out in the WoW forums.

On the other hand, there are bastions of goodness.  The Healing Forums and the Tanking Forums are two examples of places where you can get real advice, honest answers.  The Healing Forums even has an Off-Topic thread that's like a chat lounge people hang out in.

The link the tweet takes me to was posted at 11:28 am... are they reposting old news?Time stamp for the forum post says 

Forum post for me says 2008 for me, and the Twitter post is just 32m old.  Could be you're not logged into the Lodestone Forums.

This just came across my twitter feed:

Maintenance for NA/EU #FFXIV Datacenter Aug. 25, 2013 from 9:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (PDT)

https://twitter.com/Elvinelol/status/371829973415231488/photo/1

Edited to add: Now they're saying that our inability to log-in is the result of a bug.  So which is it?  Their server caps, or a bug?  Ugh.

The link the tweet takes me to was posted at 11:28 am... are they reposting old news?

If it was from their home office, then their Twitter stamp my be local Japanese time - since Japan is about 11ish hours ahead of EST (not sure what time zone you are in).

Well, it is for the most part a terrible place.  You have to have thick skin if you're going to step out in the WoW forums.

On the other hand, there are bastions of goodness.  The Healing Forums and the Tanking Forums are two examples of places where you can get real advice, honest answers.  The Healing Forums even has an Off-Topic thread that's like a chat lounge people hang out in.

I'll try and check them out at some point. Granted, I can't post since my WoW subscription has been cancelled but I suppose it makes a lot of sense that the healing board is rich with friendly folk! I've always favoured the DPS role, personally - I tend to make all sorts of stupid mistakes if people put in charge of tanking or healing. I might give it a go in FFXIV, though.

I'll try and check them out at some point. Granted, I can't post since my WoW subscription has been cancelled but I suppose it makes a lot of sense that the healing board is rich with friendly folk! 

I've always favoured the DPS role, personally - I tend to make all sorts of stupid mistakes if people put in charge of tanking or healing. I might give it a go in FFXIV, though.

I'm not saying we can't be mean.  I've been known to eviscerate people who spread bad information to new healers or who are actively trolling, but for the most part we're a seriously helpful group.

If it was from their home office, then their Twitter stamp my be local Japanese time - since Japan is about 11ish hours ahead of EST (not sure what time zone you are in).

I am in Pacific, which makes it easy to figure out what time maintenance happens!

According to the Launcher, the servers are all online, but once I click Play, I get "unable to update the Group NA/EU character list". Is this a different sort of maintenance where they leave them online but inaccessible?

That means the JP servers are up, is all. And if I'm not mistaken you can usually log in and access the game whether the servers are up or not, since the log-in server and actual game servers are independent of each other.