Open RP

Nebbs

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also like to be added to the (increasingly long) waiting list. What it is to be popular, eh?

Nhia Nahri.

I know, I thought maybe 20-30 ppl would join... but yay!

Added

You could always do what we used to do with Intermission before that fell out of use, start up additional shells as needed, and fill people into the "main shell" every time you do a purge of inactive members. At the very least, it allows people to be a part of something while they wait.

Just a suggestion, of course.

As far as it goes, I'd say put me on the list, but I'd rather other people have a chance of getting in over myself. Maybe some day~

You could always do what we used to do with Intermission before that fell out of use, start up additional shells as needed, and fill people into the "main shell" every time you do a purge of inactive members. At the very least, it allows people to be a part of something while they wait.

Just a suggestion, of course.

As far as it goes, I'd say put me on the list, but I'd rather other people have a chance of getting in over myself. Maybe some day~

It is a good point, and I'd be interested in what others think? Especially if you make one a feeder LS or if you split it in two based on time zone.

Being Excellent to Each other

I would just like to make a few points about conduct in this LS

First, the leaders are here to help the community, not to take your abuse or venting. Make it personal and expect to get kicked.

Second, keep the discussions positive and when asked to move off a topic please do. Often this is because it is clearly inappropriate or heading that way, and we often have several PMs complaining. This is a communal LS not your personal soap box. Don't like this.. expect to get kicked

Third, the LS is to be a part of to link up for RP etc.. it is not an easy way to get announcement of RP that is already on this forum, we do that as a reminder. If you are here just to mooch off this please leave and let someone who wants to add to the LS join. 

However, people have left or been kicked for such things and when they have calmed down they have rejoined. So we try to be inclusive and tolerant but in the end this is a community with diverse views .. try and find that middle ground please.

So we try to be inclusive and tolerant but in the end this is a community with diverse views .. try and find that middle ground please.

I find this entire statement to be laughable.  When someone makes a comment about not liking the way a particular race is portrayed, they're suddenly 'racist' versus that race (a non-issue considering it is a fantasy race in a game and not a legitimate race in the actual world and the last I checked, people are permitted to like or dislike any player-race they so see fit), and attacked with a mob mentality by the players in the LS.  Despite the leader on at the time supposedly not agreeing with the individuals doing the attacking, they were justified. 

After an argument that occurred with my husband, and not myself, I logged out still in the LS, and logged back in to find myself kicked from the linkshell without cause or provocation. I did not speak up in defense of my husband except to state that the types of players we encountered were of a type we weren't fond of, and that had created the bias that he displayed. I was laughed at and told to stop playing in the Quicksand.  I said nothing myself of the bias, save that I wasn't fond of it, and was disgusted, as another player also expressed, at the behavior of some of those in the LS. I mentioned in private conversation to Ilwe that I stayed in LS and contributed only occasionally because that was when I felt like chiming in, and that I could do so and actually contribute to the conversation.  

After this, I wouldn't plan to return to the linkshell even if invited, nor do I recommend anyone else join.  As stated in this post, you can get all announcements from the forum itself, and the group tends to adopt a mob mentality more than they do finding a middle ground.  

And here I had hoped my first post on the forum would be much more positive.  I will say, I also thought I would be asked to leave, not simply kicked when I was offline, and had no chance to ask why, or be told why I was being removed.

So we try to be inclusive and tolerant but in the end this is a community with diverse views .. try and find that middle ground please.

I find this entire statement to be laughable.  When someone makes a comment about not liking the way a particular race is portrayed, they're suddenly 'racist' versus that race (a non-issue considering it is a fantasy race in a game and not a legitimate race in the actual world and the last I checked, people are permitted to like or dislike any player-race they so see fit), and attacked with a mob mentality by the players in the LS.  Despite the leader on at the time supposedly not agreeing with the individuals doing the attacking, they were justified. 

After an argument that occurred with my husband, and not myself, I logged out still in the LS, and logged back in to find myself kicked from the linkshell without cause or provocation. I did not speak up in defense of my husband except to state that the types of players we encountered were of a type we weren't fond of, and that had created the bias that he displayed. I was laughed at and told to stop playing in the Quicksand.  I said nothing myself of the bias, save that I wasn't fond of it, and was disgusted, as another player also expressed, at the behavior of some of those in the LS. I mentioned in private conversation to Ilwe that I stayed in LS and contributed only occasionally because that was when I felt like chiming in, and that I could do so and actually contribute to the conversation.  

After this, I wouldn't plan to return to the linkshell even if invited, nor do I recommend anyone else join.  As stated in this post, you can get all announcements from the forum itself, and the group tends to adopt a mob mentality more than they do finding a middle ground.  

And here I had hoped my first post on the forum would be much more positive.  I will say, I also thought I would be asked to leave, not simply kicked when I was offline, and had no chance to ask why, or be told why I was being removed.

I'm sorry things did not work out and if you want to discuss I am open to PMs, especially as I was the one who removed you and not directly involved in any of the surrounding issues.

There are other RP related LS available, some of these may be more suited to you and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Waiting List

I have had some spaces now for over a week and have been looking for those on the top of the waiting list to invite, but I have not seen them on.

So please let me or one of the leaders know when you are on so we know to invite you.

After the 26th I will open the spaces up to the whole waiting list.

02f0ecc80924722ce26cbb26c3a609881ccfdfb3.png

A Big Thank You for a great 2014 to the Open RP members

2014 has gone or at least on the last countdown of it's time with us. The Linkshell has been up five months and while I honestly expected only thirty or so members we rapidly grew after joining with the Intermission shell, and have been at max capacity for the last three months.

What went well

Well size has some benefits, but also activity. There was generally a lot of chatter going on far much more than any other LS I was in.

The Leaders did a great job of covering things through the time zones and blended in most of the time and appeared when things needed it.. a big thanks to them, Aysun Demiir, Faye Covington, Gospel Gestalt, Ilwe'ran Hlaiwa, Val Nunh, Xenedra Ambreaus

On a special note Ilwe'ran, did a sterling job with the RP event announcements and a lot of people really liked that. She scoured these forums and encouraged people to let her know if events were in the making.

The community has been that, and covers a broad church of RP, as well as some casual PvE and RL chatter, as you would get with 128 people.

We have cleared out inactive people on a 15day window which seems to work well, though i wish it was easy to check when people last logged as this is a non trivial task to do. Again, thanks to the Leaders for helping with this.

What didn't go so well

The initial idea was for RP focus and it is fair to say we fell short of that and the LS does default to a general channel at times. We have let this take up some space but sometimes we have had to bring it back to the initial idea. Overall after some rough patches we seemed to have reached a happy balance.

Some people have left because the LS is not for them, some have returned. I try to talk to those who leave to understand why and if we could have done anything. I have taken that feedback and fed it into how the LS has gone.

Excluding people (kicking) has been regrettably necessary on a few occasions. If I am guilty of one thing here is is giving people too much rope, I like to see if people will adjust to the feedback they are given and when they clearly wont there is only one alternative left.

What do I think we need more of in 2015?

I think in 2015 I would like to see more positive views about what people like, rather than dislike. Also more RP focus, I find that we RPers (maybe even MMOers) are very good at saying we will, but then get distracted and don't follow through. I am thinking that maybe some slight organisation may help this.

Also we might as well recognise that a large number would like to also progress through Primals and Coil, so maybe we can organise something around this.

Most of all I look forward to an active link shell in 2015... thanks everyone!

I would love to be a part of this Linkshell if there is still room! My character's name is Jack Barton.

Have you paid your dues, Jack?

(sorry name was too close :) - added to waiting list :))

Waiting List Notice

We are removing any priority from the waiting list. Essentially it will just be used to search for people when there are spaces.

The LS is full and even with us clearing out inactive people every 15 days it is unlikely we will have enough free spaces.

Trying to prioritise the waiting list has been problematic, both in coordination and actually finding people at the top of the list.

So to keep it simple we will just search from the list and invite who is on.

Doing it this way we have managed to fill the few spaces that have come free, otherwise they would be vacant for a while.