The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

*snip* because I am a lowly dps and I am immediately replaceable.

You know, I play a DPS and two tank classes and from the tank perspective....I gotta say while sure DPS may (most times) be a dime a dozen having a GOOD dps or at least dps willing to work with you is a Twelve-send and can make even a run while you wipe against a boss 2-3 times still fun and way more enjoyable than one who has the 'I do wut I want' attitude.

So from one class to another, please give yourself some credit. :D

I would like to know who slapped a 'Curse of Bitchiness' onto the Garuda instances.

The only time I ever have had serious player problems was in PuGs with Garuda--it's bizarre, it really is. The first time, it was on NM, with one new guy that was tanking and then myself and two others. One of them, I forget who, go frustrated with the Tank for being a bit clumsy and dying (which of course meant a wipe). Yeah, I get being frustrated, but taking the time to STOP the instance completely, so you can rail against him, throwing out vulgar language (mostly homophobic slurs of course) before we finally finish. Of course then he turned on myself after I tried to ignore the mouthy healer and just pep up the Tank, calling me, 'A Balfag who should go back to sucking digital--' and I'll let you fill in the blanks after that.

Naturally, I reported their ass--which led to at least a happy (or rather hilarious) ending for the situation.

I had a surprise chat with a mod about a day later who asked me some questions etc and assured me the situation would be handled--I mentioned I wasn't hurt, so much as I didn't want new players to get lambasted like that. They again said they would look into it.

"Thank you, 'Crooked Teeth' for helping keep our community friendly.'

I have never laughed so hard while playing this game when I saw the mod call me 'Crooked Teeth' and wondered what Tarot would say if anyone ever called him that to his face; his teeth are very nice, thank you very much!

today I had what was quite possibly the worst experience in DF I've ever had.

IRL I'm going through some difficulties, so I mean, I'm already kind of feeling horrible, but I come on to play and relax and all. 

I play as a healer and I understand there's a lot of pressure to do your job well and everything. I get that.

I rolled duty finder for Cutter's Cry because I'm trying to level my SCH and I'm allllllmost to 40. I've already done this dungeon like, three times today. 

but this last time had to be the one where I wound up screwing up in every possible way. I mean, yes. I understand. you're just probably going through duty roulette and you REALLY don't want to be here. 

I'm still learning my class and I'm used to WHM. not having burst heals is weird. I'm manually controlling my fairy, so it's not like she's just flying around willy nilly and only healing once every five minutes.

the first time you died was your fault. 'oops, forgot oath. lol' and we all just kinda rolled with it and all was good.

first time we wiped was because you were abnormally squishy and I had a difficult time kiting the adds at the first boss and keeping you alive. I apologized and we got through it without too many issues the second time around.   

at another point, I got distracted and accidentally cast before a minor pull. there were no deaths and I apologized profusely. 

next time I died was with the sandworm because I was freaking out because shit, where's it going to pop up next? ...not remembering that I could've just run to the edges and avoided it all together.

and you decided to get all rude and snippy every time I died, like 'dude, are you asleep or something??' I apologized profusely yet again and we kept going. 

one of the DPS died two or three times midboss because they kept standing in front of the boss and in AoEs. I swiftcast + raised them each time and threw every single barrier I could think of on them, and we kept going. 

and you kept making snide, passive aggressive comments at me, at one point asking 'what, are you on Balmung or Gilgamesh?' like, I know I messed up, but are you going to tell everyone on my server or something? (and are you making rude insinuations? not cool...)

I don't even remember precise details at this point, but you died twice the entire run. my deaths hardly mattered because I just got back up, ran to the shortcut and was back on track within a matter of ten seconds. 

after your second death, you got all huffy and said 'if I die again, I'm leaving.' and I resolved not to let you die - and you didn't. you kept trying to supplement my heals throughout the entirety of the second boss, even though no one dipped below 85% and I was a bit offended, yeah. as if your >125 HP heals were going to help much. 

but once we hit the final boss, you said 'fyi, the only reason I haven't dropped is because I know how long DPS have to wait.' nobody had died for a long time and I was thinking of how to word my apology for the end of the dungeon. and that just. holy shit. I nearly left myself, but that was probably what you would've wanted, wasn't it? we went through the chimera with little issue - that one DPS kept sitting in AoEs and getting hit with status (leeches isn't until 40...), but we were alive and doing fine. well, except for the fact that you were passive aggressively healing everyone for ~100 HP the entire time and hardly did your job. and I died with about 8% left on the boss, because hell, it was just my luck that I'd screw up again, huh? 

and then you proceeded to say a ton of really nasty things to me. 'wow, that's pathetic. I was throwing out heals the entire fight too lol', among other things. like, shit. I know. I kept fucking up. I KNOW. you wouldn't have let me forget even if I wanted to. when I've wound up with crappy parties in DF, I would just politely give advice and not say anything rude or derogatory. what happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? (I couldn't have apologized more unless I literally started groveling. I'm doing my best, come on. it's not like I'm messing up to spite you personally.)

at this point, I don't even know what I was going to say, but... I don't know, maybe I'm just being too sensitive? maybe I'm just making excuses and I deserved to be harassed the entire dungeon for sucking? all I know is that I'm still pretty upset about it and I don't know if I really want to do DF dungeons anymore. (hell, I don't even really want to play at all right now.) I'll just stick to FATEs, I guess.

I dunno if this is my own fault for not riding the DRK hype train and cruising DRG and MCH to 50. I dunno if this is my own fault for getting absorbed in the 3.0 story instead of leveling or just being late.

But don't you just hate it when you're trying to level a decent DPS class to 60 but then NO ONE runs the lower level dungeons anymore?

I want this post framed so I can shove it in people's faces.

But don't you just hate it when you're trying to level a decent DPS class to 60 but then NO ONE runs the lower level dungeons anymore?

I want this post framed so I can shove it in people's faces.

I dunno about you but I've been doing low level roulettes every day and I have not gotten one post 50 dungeon when my BLM hit 51. In fact, most of them have been tam-tara...

fucking tam-tara, aurum vale, and toto-rak. That's been my week of leveling BLM T_T;

helped a friend thru ravana hm the other night. most the party was premade but we had one dps that wasn't; wiped on the sword stage and when we respawned the pug dps said they let the wipe happen to show their friend what the swords look like. he then pulled the fight before we had a chance to votekick....,i about put my controller thru the tv x____X

[align=center]OH MY FUCKING GOD I WAS TANKING FOR THIS YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THIS ASSHOLE WAS LAUGHING ACTING LIKE IT WAS NOTHING IT WAS UTTER HORSESHIT I GOT THINGS TO DO HE EVEN SAID AND I QUOTE[/align]

[align=center]'I'll use my cooldowns this time.'[/align]

[align=center]Now I know I have a fiery temper, and a bit of an expectation when it comes to PuG and even premades. It was instilled in me by the Hyperion community during my stay with them before I moved to Balmung. Now I've taken strides to fix this, and I feel I'm greatly improving. Alot of my anger has since been redirected to myself, making me want to strive for perfection so I can be an asset to my friends. But the expectation is there still, and it tends to reveal itself with a particular group.[/align]

[align=center]My anger tends to reveal itself before couples. That despite being level GOD DAMNED 55 you know NONE of your class mechanics, any only level ONE FUCKING JOB you think you know how EVERYONE AND THEIR GOD DAMNED MOTHER should play their jobs. Oh, except your Bae. Because somehow their IDIOTIC WINDOW LICKING ASS can do no wrong, and anyone WITH A SHRED OF COMMON SENSE can tell that even if they're not doing THE SINGLE GOD DAMNED THING THEY ARE UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY SUPPOSED TO HAVE FUCKING MASTERED wrong, I swear to you they're not doing it right.[/align]

[align=center]YOUR FAILURE OF A HUSBAND DOES NOT NEED THE EWER, HE'S A WARRIOR, CAST CARDS ON PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY NEED THEM, NOT JUST THAT ASSHOLE![/align]

helped a friend thru ravana hm the other night. most the party was premade but we had one dps that wasn't; wiped on the sword stage and when we respawned the pug dps said they let the wipe happen to show their friend what the swords look like. he then pulled the fight before we had a chance to votekick....,i about put my controller thru the tv x____X

[align=center]OH MY FUCKING GOD I WAS TANKING FOR THIS YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THIS ASSHOLE WAS LAUGHING ACTING LIKE IT WAS NOTHING IT WAS UTTER HORSESHIT I GOT THINGS TO DO HE EVEN SAID AND I QUOTE[/align]

[align=center]'I'll use my cooldowns this time.'[/align]

Someone needs to be reported for harassment in that fight.  >.>

Dear Random Trash WHM We Got in A3,

If you wanna talk smack at one of the DPS, that's fine. I honestly don't care if you really think jabbing at someone over their queue times is really gonna leave 'em hurt. Their understanding fight as well as class mechanics better than you must have really got your goat or something. YEESH.

But please don't stop healing to type this trash during the bit of the fight where both tanks are taking some pretty hot damage. I can carry you through the rest of it, but not that part as we plainly saw!

Thanks for wasting our time, broski.

love,

cuideag

To describe my experiences with RNG and fishing in a nutshell:

"Oh boy, I can't wait to get my HQ catkiller today!" (This is for the 60 class quest)

*Throws first cast of the day in the water*

"Sweet I got somethin--"

*The fish broke your bladed steel jig*

"Damn. 40k gil. Just gone like that."

So, uh, tempered will is meant to prevent knockback effects. Someone should tell those Vanu Vanu that appear during the Bismarck fight.

>_>

I got knocked off the island - as the tank - which was very embarassing because I assumed that it'd protect me.

DRG who is 58 in Qarn Normal mode never using Heavy Thrust but in a party where 1 person has already gotten to Ishgard (AST) and a Tank who has multiple 50s, and no new person message... Asks before every single boss fight "Wait... everyone know the fight? :) "

How about... not letting final sting go off cause your DPS is shit cause YOU DON'T PUT UP HEAVY THRUST? I HAVE A QUESTION. WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE HEAVY THRUST UP?!

Also, to MNK who just "got distracted" and let people die in the Sable Price of Aery Last Boss. :/ We nearly wiped cause of you. Cause I was dead.

Did you offer the DRG constructive feedback? As for the MNK, that's unfortunate but if he was genuinely apologetic I see no reason to hold it against him. Life happens - there's been a few times when I've been doing a dungeon and then had to unexpectedly look away or leave for a couple of minutes.

Sometimes the phone rings, or someone knocks on the door. Sometimes my cat jumps on my keyboard...

Speaking of troublesome DRGs...

Hey DRG in the pre-made A2-A4 Farm run (that never got further than 3 runs into A2, by the by)... if we had to hold up three times for solid lengths of time for you, one of which you deciding unlocking Savage was more important than starting the run, then you really don't get to try and demand getting your drop - nor do you get to complain when you don't get it. I and one other person (one of the drops was a failed loot because no one needed - a pedal, I think) didn't get our drops either and we didn't complain.

... I held off my complaining until I had done over six/seven runs of A2 without getting a lens. :lol:

(Got it in the end, though, on run 10ish. Got my crank in A3 two runs later. Just need a spring in A4 and I'll have some i190 legs too~)

Did you offer the DRG constructive feedback? As for the MNK, that's unfortunate but if he was genuinely apologetic I see no reason to hold it against him. Life happens - there's been a few times when I've been doing a dungeon and then had to unexpectedly look away or leave for a couple of minutes.

Sometimes the phone rings, or someone knocks on the door. Sometimes my cat jumps on my keyboard...

Or sometimes the MNK does the DPS thing where they tunnel-vision. I watched from my little vantage point in the air as they did their positionals while trying to move around 240 degrees on the dragon... I know the cat deal often enough. It was obvious the monk had some things up though. Constantly stopped moving throughout the entire dungeon.

I contemplated asking the DRG if they would take it but I've only recently had one tank out of 5 take my healing while running in battle asking "take the dragon add closer/further away from boss" in Keeper well. It's come in "move add further" or "move add closer" "please move further" "please move closer" multiple times. One of the tanks actually pitched a fit and I ended up reporting him because he also purposely cleaved me and the party multiple times that I got interrupted while healing that we died. He decided to harass us into vote kicking him to avoid the penalty that I reported him.

I contemplated reporting the dumbass Warrior in my first A1 run. Yes, it's true that our dps was sloppy and horrible. But what dumbnut actually says "my parse says the dps is bad, only one person has 1000 dps" etc? It was my first time, I had said that, and I was given grief for having Eos out. Specifically, when i asked the tank if they were going to just stand there all day or actually do the dungeon they signed up for. "I can't help DPS dps more. I can't help a SCH who doesn't use the right fairy to boost."

I'm sorry I am new and prefer to focus on healing and making sure we don't wipe to just having heal issues. Also, if we die to enrage on Faust because of bad dps, 3% will not do shit. Yeah we're going to wipe to enrage. Either take your goddamned penalty or do the dungeon.

@Rochester: Lol I saw that gem in reddit today.

Edited to add to Rochester's post:

eDwXh9N.png

This is the parse of that battle.

This... is essentially how -not- to BRD and I hope that this BRD is able to find someone to coach them on how to BRD.

eDwXh9N.png

This... is essentially how -not- to BRD and I hope that this BRD is able to find someone to coach them on how to BRD.

That... parse... what... why... aagh... my braaaaain. I can't even.

This guy needs to be learned some things. <_< How is that parse even possible?

Or sometimes the MNK does the DPS thing where they tunnel-vision. I watched from my little vantage point in the air as they did their positionals while trying to move around 240 degrees on the dragon... I know the cat deal often enough. It was obvious the monk had some things up though. Constantly stopped moving throughout the entire dungeon.

I contemplated asking the DRG if they would take it but I've only recently had one tank out of 5 take my healing while running in battle asking "take the dragon add closer/further away from boss" in Keeper well. It's come in "move add further" or "move add closer" "please move further" "please move closer" multiple times. One of the tanks actually pitched a fit and I ended up reporting him because he also purposely cleaved me and the party multiple times that I got interrupted while healing that we died. He decided to harass us into vote kicking him to avoid the penalty that I reported him.

I contemplated reporting the dumbass Warrior in my first A1 run. Yes, it's true that our dps was sloppy and horrible. But what dumbnut actually says "my parse says the dps is bad, only one person has 1000 dps" etc? It was my first time, I had said that, and I was given grief for having Eos out. Specifically, when i asked the tank if they were going to just stand there all day or actually do the dungeon they signed up for. "I can't help DPS dps more. I can't help a SCH who doesn't use the right fairy to boost."

I'm sorry I am new and prefer to focus on healing and making sure we don't wipe to just having heal issues. Also, if we die to enrage on Faust because of bad dps, 3% will not do shit. Yeah we're going to wipe to enrage. Either take your goddamned penalty or do the dungeon.

eDwXh9N.png

You know I don't know if the parsers only do your self, if they do fine, but first time someone pulls out a parse on me (being a tank.) and bitches about dps, or complains about someones dps who is trying they get added to my block list and I bail on the party, and I'll report the person using it.... Parsers are my one major pet peeve it fosters elitism, and at this time isn't allowed in the game, if it was allowed and supported I'd just have to bite my tongue and roll my eyes.

*edit* - Sorry this is a subject i get all rawr about. I meant no offense to anyone.

It's an example of someone never actually having learned the job they decided to play. If he was in a static, the group would see this parse, see what is being used. If they go to the DPS and ask "can we help you get better" this is exactly the tool to use.

It's sorta how you see "Ice" Black mages or black mages using weird "rotations".

You can get by in WoD with 23 other people etc with these numbers because others will do better and make up for it. Not knowing your rotation is how tanks in CT line will see that they do more damage than the dps.

I've been told auto-attack does more than this... >.>

eDwXh9N.png

That... parse... what... why... aagh... my braaaaain. I can't even.

This guy needs to be learned some things. <_< How is that parse even possible?

Definitely a case of either a) Not trying or B) not ever having learned the job. Though c) Not even knowing how damage works in this game is also a good idea.

I'm fairly sure this is one of those types who have either just got through the game without raiding (aka dungeons and CT only lines), or was carried or bought their way if they raided.

Sub 400 DPS for a Bard is what? T5 when there was barely echo at i90?

To describe my experiences with RNG and fishing in a nutshell:

"Oh boy, I can't wait to get my HQ catkiller today!" (This is for the 60 class quest)

*Throws first cast of the day in the water*

"Sweet I got somethin--"

*The fish broke your bladed steel jig*

"Damn. 40k gil. Just gone like that."

This is gonna devolve into a rant, but I ain't ashamed. It's the Vent thread. That's what it's for.

If gathering wasn't already a pain...

New Red Scrip stuff hit this morning. I go to check it out.

First thing I notice is that Adamantite is listed as a collectible for Red Scrips, and if you haven't unlocked a folklore node, it's the ONLY one you can get. I won't even get into the gut-ache that I had when I realized how much of a face-slapping grind these red scrips things are going to be, with how few you get for your effort and how many you need to be able to turn them in...

But this really got on my nerves. Miners really only have a few profitable ores in the Heavensward content (the market has bottomed out HARD for a lot of stuff), and Adamantite was just about the most stable one; I've tried putting up some of the folklore node items up for sale over the past week, and the market for those has hit the ground hard, too. I told myself, well, I can still get Adamantite, and that ain't bad. But making THIS ore a collectible? So, now, miners have to choose between harvesting this useful ore, or risking the entire harvest on collectability. Plus, the slight jacking up of the collectibility margin from 450 to 470 doesn't sound like much, but it really is more than it sounds, and a couple of bad rolls (unless your perception is sky-freaking high - mine is currently 637 without foods) means that your adamantite harvest is wasted. You got nothing - no useable ore, no useable collectible. You got literal trash. Cuprite was like this for blue scrips, but that was the point - Cuprite WASN'T really a marketable ore in and of itself.

I sense those of you who are Crafters rolling your eyes and saying, "Welcome to Our World." That's actually the point that I'll be getting at.

This may, in the short term, increase the price of Adamantite, but who's going to benefit from this, really? Blacksmiths who are buying the ore won't - they may have to pay more for it. Miners really aren't, because it's going to be the same game of cat and mouse markets - I can either make a few gil off the ore, or HOPE I can score a collectible... and one collectible piece of Adamantite ore gives 8 Red Scrips. You need 50 of these scrips to get ONE token, and 26 tokens PLUS one more high-value collectible to exchange for ONE piece of the high-tier craft gear.

So, what's the problem?

The previous collectible ores didn't really have market value - they were meant to be collectibles.

Even you crafters, again, who are saying, "Welcome to our world of pain and randomness and blown gil", consider this for a moment. Many of you depend on your gathering skills to make money to spend on your craft skill leveling, so this affects you, too.

What we have here now is TWICE as much chance for FFXIV's already evil RNG to screw people over:

1) Hit node, swap to collectible node.

2) Hope to get a good RNG luck if you use any skill besides Methodical Appraisal.

3) Hope you can still harvest the collectible (95% chance? You folks know what THAT means with the RNG...)

And if you fail, nothing.

Crafters, sound familiar? It should. It means that, if this continues as a trend, that if more useful, in-demand materials become collectibles, gatherers have to play the same game you do, instead of being the thing-to-do that you used to do to make gil for crafting. I don't know how this will affect BTN yet, but I can guess it will be similar.

I mean, I come to this game expecting grind, but damn, there's a reason I'm not a crafter. So, now, as a Miner, I, too, have to sacrifice hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, of gil, to advance in it, in lost profitable ores. With the old system, if you were harvesting a node needed to get trade-ins for gear, you knew you couldn't really sell what you were gathering, anyway, so no big deal. That Umbral Rock node? I can't sell the ore, so I only hit it when I wanted to advance towards a better main hand item.

I get that this Red Scrip system is DESIGNED to keep us grinding for at least a YEAR to get the better gear, but, damn.

TL;DR: Dear Gatherers - Yoshi P. is tired of you having it easy and wants you to put up with the same RNG crap and gil-sinking that your Crafter brethren have tolerated since 1.0. Please look forward to it.

TL;DR: Dear Gatherers - Yoshi P. is tired of you having it easy and wants you to put up with the same RNG crap and gil-sinking that your Crafter brethren have tolerated since 1.0. Please look forward to it.

/mains FSH. /has always dealt with horrid RNG and gil-sinking for little to no return.

On the subject: 71/450 Red Gatherers' Scrips.

Please end the suffering.

Also, the new bait for these Red Scrips collectible fish... you can only buy with Blue Gatherers' Scrips. Spent 180 Blue Scrips today alone. Beginning to wonder if just using Stonefly Nymphs and praying for that mooch would be more cost efficient in the end. Probably.

/bangs head on desk.

The Heavensward To Do List is growing...

-Cap Esoterics for 9 Weeks to get WAR set.

-Cap Esoterics longer for BRD set.

-Cap Red Gatherers' Scrips for 9 weeks to get FSH set.

-Continue capping Red Gatherers' Scrips for longer because you need the other sets too.

-Get BAL Sounsyy to Heavensward content... sometime? Maybe?

-Still all those classes to level to 60.

-Cry, if you get time for it.

-You used to have a real life? I think.

-RP?

I love new people, they're usually very willing to listen to advice so long as you present it in a kind and offering manner.

"Not sure if you've tried it but ____ works pretty good, especially with ____"

The ones that get me are the content rushers who get a character to 50, then go back to level another class and have their skivvies in such a knot that anyone who doesn't play at their same break neck speeds is just the worst thing since polio.

The one that really gets me going is the "Don't tell me ____ I have a class at 50" stuff or "well i've been playing since ___"

just.. just ARRRRGGGHHHH

Fc37SHe.jpg

inevitably when I retort with A. time does not equate with expertise, i've been playing the game since the beta for 1.0 and i'm still learning stuff and B. Just acknowledge you made a mistake and/or were being lazy, its not a big deal, just be mindful. They have that knee-jerk "oh you must be some no life loser." remark.

Yup, everyone who plays less/less seriously than you is a casual, and everyone who plays more/more seriously is a no life loser, well aren't you just the pinnacle of the human fuckin' species boy-o.