[Spoilers] 3.5 Spoilers Discussions

Kage

I'm not the only one wondering why the GE isn't just sending two legions instead of one to take over Eorzea?

Judging from what that gridanian chic said all this would literally be over in less than a week if Garlemad legit just went "ehh... Send two, maybe one and a half."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So way prior to Heavensward even being announced, I was involved in some RP arcs that revolved around some people utilizing dragon eyes to gain power that ultimately was corrupt as all hell.

Before Heavensward launched I was involved in an RP arc revolving around someone with a grudge against Eorzea instigating false-flag attacks on Garlemald holdings with people wearing fake GC uniforms, hoping to kickstart the war effort.

Guys I'm afraid to RP things now.

MSQ punched me right in the feels. From Answers creeping in to Papa having the same expression as the light took him, the whole thing was like being dropping right back into the debut of the ARR trailer. There may or may not have been someone chopping onions in the house at the time.

Yo but those aetherless grunts Warren.

I'm waiting for a plot I've had in the workings to be eaten by Stormblood. 

Starts with a G, ends with undamjack. 

I didn't really feel anything at Papa's death because the MSQ really underutilized him and Yda. The relationship between them was kinda ambiguous again because like with Minny and Than I feel like they really just didn't commit to anything. Kinda sorta friends? We understand that they're close, but I dunno. Maybe I'm just missing 1.0 context but I don't feel any chemistry between them. So when he got Tupsimati I basically *didn't want* to believe in the death flag because I felt it was just a complete waste to kill him this early rather than late in the Stormblood cycle.

That and this is a really short MSQ. Just not a whole lot got done and a character was cleaned up rather hastily. (And y'know, I no longer trust them to kill people off, that doesn't help. Until you give me a Key Item that says Papa's Ashes, I'm gonna stay on my guard.) Rather than the numerous contrivances, which I think are always going to be a sticking point for an RP player base that is more cynical than the game's writing supports, I think FFXIV is weak in character writing more than anything else. There's so much potential for the writers to really get you in between the ribs, but I often found myself more emotionally attached to NPCs in random quests than in the MSQ because only a couple of them really are allowed the sufficient screen time to become engrossing.

But I mean, this is a game in which you yourself are a black hole of importance. I wonder if any character could ever receive sufficient screen time.

I'm not the only one wondering why the GE isn't just sending two legions instead of one to take over Eorzea?

Judging from what that gridanian chic said all this would literally be over in less than a week if Garlemad legit just went "ehh... Send two, maybe one and a half."

Like, nothing makes sense.

A bunch of rag-tag rebels in grand company clothing? Can literally explode a fucking wall and cause a giant massacre.

One legion? Can destroy the whole alliance.

This questline isn't even logical with its own canon. Fuck.

For those of you who don't feel anything at Papalymo's death, do Hildi 'till the end. I had more fucking feeling for Gigi dying than Papalymo becoming another fucking primal (or whatever the fuck Louisoix did)

At least Regula died a hero, I guess. It was pretty great to see a more moderate, honourable and pragmatic approach to Garlemald's cause. I do wish he would have stuck around for longer but hopefully it will not be the last time we end up teaming up with a Garlean for the sake of the greater good whilst they remain loyal to their homeland and people in the same breath.

If nothing else it's simply further proof that my own character doesn't break canon despite there being some very vocal individuals who try to make it seem like every Garlean that isn't a defector is somehow evil and without any redeeming qualities.

Kinda disappointed that Zurvan didn't get his own lyrics for a song. He got the short end of the stick, I guess. Not that his two music themes were bad...I guess I just expected the trend to come full circle. 

Ilberd being behind the mask wasn't much of a surprise. Him sacrificing his own people in the name of 'MAH MIHGO' wasn't unexpected either. I like that if we go to war with Garlemald it will be because they have been provoked directly - it isn't due to Garlemald simply being the aggressor and breaching the current status quo themselves.

Papalymo dying was a little sad, I guess. Though after Nanamo and Estinien I expect him to return somehow. I'll be very pleased if this ends up with the story removing the plot armour on some of the main characters to the point where they can die and stay dead. Otherwise only secondary characters actually end up dying which becomes stale quickly.

It's a shame that the story stopped where it did. I personally found that 3.5 had flaws but was satisfying albeit very, very short. We get the rest of the story quests in March, correct? I guess we'll see another major escalation at that point which sets us up perfectly for the expansion to start a few months later.

I'll admit that I'm pretty biased but I really just want Garlemald to end up playing a similar role to The Archadian Empire in FFXII. I don't want to see it destroyed, humbled completely or dismantled. Get rid of the extremist elements, certainly, and make Garlean rule more satisfying for those under the Empire's wing without completely eroding away Garlemald's culture, pragmatism, power, influence and ferocity.

That's all I want in the long term, really.

Aymeric's also pretty stupid. Seriously, why is he apologising for Ishgard not lending its aid to the rest of Eorzea when it was locked in a bitter, brutal war with Nidhogg and his servants?

Garlemald is huge and most legions are actually busy with their own duties stationned in all its regions as far as I know.

But they sure probably can afford to send more than the first time. That's what this specific line seemed to hint at to my eyes.

Aymeric's also pretty stupid. Seriously, why is he apologising for Ishgard not lending its aid to the rest of Eorzea when it was locked in a bitter, brutal war with Nidhogg and his servants?

The Dragonsong War seems like it had its ebbs and flows, and from what I recall it was in a bit of a lull between Nidhogg getting rekt by Alberic at Ferndale and the Calamity spurring the Dravanian assault upon the Stone and Steel Vigils, so the Ishgardians likely could have spared forces.

It also wouldn't have been the first time the Holy See deployed soldiers to foreign lands during the Dragonsong War. Ishgard sent its forces to the otherwise isolated Gridania to help them defend against the Ala Mhigan invasion during the Autumn War (a task arguably more difficult than facing off against a single fractured Legion with a dead commander).

I think Aymeric's little speech, while a bit melodramatic, was politically appropriate when you consider how recently Ishgard entered the Alliance and how poorly its very recent spate of isolationism reflected upon it from the outside.

I will say that, from a purely retrospective point of view, not sending troops to aid the Alliance against the Garleans was probably a net benefit for Ishgard in a vacuum. Having more soldiers would not have changed the outcome of the battle, and would have left Ishgard weaker and more vulnerable in the face of the Dravanian's post-Calamity resurgence.

Garlemald is huge and most legions are actually busy with their own duties stationned in all its regions as far as I know.

But they sure probably can afford to send more than the first time. That's what this specific line seemed to hint at to my eyes.

IIRC there's something to this. I think it was suggested in the MSQ around about the time Yugiri showed up that Garlemald had been pretty over-extended, similar to late Rome, and that they were starting to have difficulty maintaining control within their own borders when the war of succession hit. That's in part why Doma tried to revolt -- it didn't last long, but apparently there was enough of a gap that they made the attempt anyway.

I'm pretty sure Gaius' legion really was all they could spare. (But he was doing his own thing anyway, right?)

Idk about anyone else but we knew going in a primal was going to be summoned and it was gonna be strong but for me personally considering all the primals we did take down I underestimated the gravity of the situation until answers started playing in the background during the summoning. When that shit started playing I actually got pretty concerned that this was not gonna be a simple thing to deal with xD.

I think Aymeric's little speech, while a bit melodramatic, was politically appropriate when you consider how recently Ishgard entered the Alliance and how poorly its very recent spate of isolationism reflected upon it from the outside.

Only one word to explain why he did so when he didn't have to: Politics. He knows how to play the game, and apologizing for not sending troops costs nothing and butters the conversation.

Its pretty clear that the Primal will play a role in a future Patch or the Expansion and perhaps it may even be one of the twelve? That'd be an interesting twist to have to face off against Rhalgar? The Patron Deity of the Ala Mhigan's. I'd be for this, as it would make a link between the beastmen's primals and that of the Free People of Eorzea's plus it'd open the door to far more primals in the future, the Twelve serving as Elder Primals of sorts.

Only one word to explain why he did so when he didn't have to: Politics. He knows how to play the game, and apologizing for not sending troops costs nothing and butters the conversation.

In negociations that's actually the worst thing you can do. You don't bring up a sore subject for you if it's not been specifically brought up someone else. The only thing he managed to was to make everyone awkward, and could potentially have brought up a sore subject that could have gone in the way of everything else.

If someone brings it up, then yes, you apologize and move on.

Maybe Aymeric is just young and still inexperienced.

Koji why.

Please allow me to deeply apologize for the lack of discretion used in the localization of the player title received upon completing the 3.5 main scenario quest. The decision to proceed with what is (as of Jan 18 JST) in the game was my decision and my decision alone. While the title was meant to be a reflection of the Warrior of Light’s role in the story, there is no excuse for my inability to realize that the particular choice of words would affect those players who had yet to complete the quest. As a result, my lack of foresight has marred the gaming experience of countless fans.

The current plan is to hotfix a new title in as soon as possible, with full awareness that this cannot undo the damage that is already done. I have spoken with Yoshida-san on the issue and have promised to personally work to ensure similar missteps do not happen in the future. We greatly appreciate the efforts being made by players who have already completed the quest to help ensure those who have not from being affected, and humbly ask that that everyone continues to do so until the issue can be addressed.

I once again sincerely apologize for this inexcusable error in judgment.

Koji Fox

In negociations that's actually the worst thing you can do. You don't bring up a sore subject for you if it's not been specifically brought up someone else. The only thing he managed to was to make everyone awkward, and could potentially have brought up a sore subject that could have gone in the way of everything else.

If someone brings it up, then yes, you apologize and move on.

Maybe Aymeric is just young and still inexperienced.

Yeah but they weren't really negociating. More like "Garlemald will probably want to tear us a new asshole. Wat do?"

And yeah, after getting that title, I'm like Koji fucked up BAD.

Eh, I liked Hildibrand at least. Cyr's character growth is instantaneous but comprehensible and I'd genuinely like to see a quest involving him eventually (but pls get new clothes than the Patrician's outfit dyed blue). I haven't done the Beast Tribe extension because I'm only Sworn with the moogles rather than Bloodsworn an they're the only ones I need. I haven't done Zurvan either nor Sohm Al (Hard) yet so I dunno about those.

Regarding the primal: I just have so many problems with this thing.

1). Tupsimati still has "great power", and yet the sealing spell takes up all of the caster's aether? Well, Tupsimati's "great power" must count for utter shit, then. The way the dialogue is written, it's implied that all of the caster's aether is used up no matter what the scale of the spell is, so what is the point of this Chekhov's gun if it doesn't even seem to matter as a plot device?

2). You need hours to gather the aether? THERE IS A PRIMAL RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, A BEING MADE OUT OF WISHFUL THINKING AND AETHER. YOU HAVE AETHER. What, did the primal just call dibs on all the ambient aether in the air and using that would just be impolite?

And the thing is that there has to be a shitload of loose, ambient aether around the primal that isn't being used, that COULD be used for the spell. Because if there isn't, then what in God's name is the primal absorbing to take shape!? And if said primal isn't using any ambient aether and is instead using the aether from the Eyes of Nidhogg, then why is it taking so long to form? Shiva (who didn't even need the Eyes), King Thordan, and Corrupted Estinien didn't take twenty minutes to take shape, they more or less formed instantaneously, so why is this thing suddenly special? Are there suddenly special rules for primal summoning? Was this primal busy trying to get its forms through the Department of Primal Formations so that it could take shape on Eorzea?

3). I'm the Warrior of fucking Light! Who cares if there's a primal being summoned when I've schooled like nine of these fuckers practically singlehandedly? Why should I waste time running away, when you Scion twats are just going to make me run all the way back and kill this primal when it eventually gets released anyway?

And for Baelsar's Wall, I just don't get it. How do a couple hundred unorganised wahoos take on what should be the most fortified border in the empire? Eorzea as a region more or less crippled two entire legions, so how is the wall not the most fortified border in the Empire? You idiots have tried twice, twice to conquer this piddly little region of Aldenard with superweapons, and utterly failed both times. Guess what? You managed to completely conquer Ala Mhigo with traditional Garlean arms and tactics. Have you maybe thought about using that again before the Eorzeans summon another demigod to kick your ass?

As a side note, I finally figured out what makes every MSQ so exhausting to get through.

The dialogue is so needlessly wordy and verbose. What should be very simple ideas to convey--such as "yes", "no", "good to see you again", "I disagree", and "I will go there now"--gets stretched out to three, four, sometimes five long sentences written in their standard early modern English style.

This isn't particularly a problem when only a few characters do it--Urianger's verbosity is a notable exception, although what his archaic speaking style is supposed to convey about him I'm not entirely sure considering no one else in the game besides the dragons talk like him--but when everyone constantly takes thirty seconds of speech to say something that should really only take five seconds to say, it gets incredibly draining. There's a difference between writing dialogue to make characters distinct, and writing dialogue to waste my time.

I think my complaint about this extends to most of the game's dialogue in general. It's why I still haven't managed to chew through Hildibrand or the Scholasticate. It's like eating a bucket of paint remover with a pair of chopsticks.

3). I'm the Warrior of fucking Light! Who cares if there's a primal being summoned when I've schooled like nine of these fuckers practically singlehandedly? Why should I waste time running away, when you Scion twats are just going to make me run all the way back and kill this primal when it eventually gets released anyway?

This is all "buying time" too, apparently. Since it follows up with apparently everyone getting prepared to go crack the New Moon Egg to defeat the primal. Which we... could've done right there? Maybe had a less fatal stall tactic used while the WoL "gathers up their allies" to kick this particular primal's teeth in?

I mean, the fact of the Eyes are being used aren't exactly a game-changer either, we've kicked ACTUAL Nidhogg's butt already (albeit apparently with Hraes' help) as well as another Primal that was utilizing one of his eyes. So us running off instead of the WoL taking a moment to ring up his Primal Murder Squad on his linkpearl or whatever seems... unnecessary? Unless this thing really is apparently on par with or stronger than Bahamut - in which case taking it out before it can reach full power like we do with the WARRING TRIAD still seems like the most logical course of action!

... And that's why I chose not to leave. Not that it meant anything since you get But Thou Must'd onto the airship by Papa anyway.

Regarding the primal: I just have so many problems with this thing.

1). Tupsimati still has "great power", and yet the sealing spell takes up all of the caster's aether? Well, Tupsimati's "great power" must count for utter shit, then. The way the dialogue is written, it's implied that all of the caster's aether is used up no matter what the scale of the spell is, so what is the point of this Chekhov's gun if it doesn't even seem to matter as a plot device?

2). You need hours to gather the aether? THERE IS A PRIMAL RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, A BEING MADE OUT OF WISHFUL THINKING AND AETHER. YOU HAVE AETHER. What, did the primal just call dibs on all the ambient aether in the air and using that would just be impolite?

And the thing is that there has to be a shitload of loose, ambient aether around the primal that isn't being used, that COULD be used for the spell. Because if there isn't, then what in God's name is the primal absorbing to take shape!? And if said primal isn't using any ambient aether and is instead using the aether from the Eyes of Nidhogg, then why is it taking so long to form? Shiva (who didn't even need the Eyes), King Thordan, and Corrupted Estinien didn't take twenty minutes to take shape, they more or less formed instantaneously, so why is this thing suddenly special? Are there suddenly special rules for primal summoning? Was this primal busy trying to get its forms through the Department of Primal Formations so that it could take shape on Eorzea?

And for Baelsar's Wall, I just don't get it. How do a couple hundred unorganised wahoos take on what should be the most fortified border in the empire? Eorzea as a region more or less crippled two entire legions, so how is the wall not the most fortified border in the Empire? You idiots have tried twice, twice to conquer this piddly little region of Aldenard with superweapons, and utterly failed both times. Guess what? You managed to completely conquer Ala Mhigo with traditional Garlean arms and tactics. Have you maybe thought about using that again before the Eorzeans summon another demigod to kick your ass?

As a side note, I finally figured out what makes every MSQ so exhausting to get through.

The dialogue is so needlessly wordy and verbose. What should be very simple ideas to convey--such as "yes", "no", "good to see you again", "I disagree", and "I will go there now"--gets stretched out to three, four, sometimes five long sentences written in their standard early modern English style.

This isn't particularly a problem when only a few characters do it--Urianger's verbosity is a notable exception, although what his archaic speaking style is supposed to convey about him I'm not entirely sure considering no one else in the game besides the dragons talk like him--but when everyone constantly takes thirty seconds of speech to say something that should really only take five seconds to say, it gets incredibly draining. There's a difference between writing dialogue to make characters distinct, and writing dialogue to waste my time.

I think my complaint about this extends to most of the game's dialogue in general. It's why I still haven't managed to chew through Hildibrand or the Scholasticate. It's like eating a bucket of paint remover with a pair of chopsticks.

1. The spell didn't kill Papalymo because it took all his aether. Papalymo killed himself because the spell involves invoking a primal summoning and then committing suicide before it fully manifests.

2. The Rhalgr primal had used the aether from the dead bodies and Nidhogg's Eyes. He didn't pull from ambient aether. When something dies a violent death, its aether bursts out in a violent way and creates crystals. Mass deaths are just as usable for summoning a primal as crystals are.

3. This is a primal of the Twelve, with so much faith backing it and aether from both of Nidhogg's eyes that it would be vastly more powerful than King Thordan was. It could possibly be as bad as Bahamut, given that he's also the Destroyer.

4. They didn't. Did you miss the part where they were all slaughtered? All the resistance managed was to kill some Garleans before the spiders came in.

4. They didn't. Did you miss the part where they were all slaughtered? All the resistance managed was to kill some Garleans before the spiders came in.

Spiders under the control of Laurentius OR DID WE CONVENIENTLY FORGET that this motherfucker released "something" that coincided with the spiders showing up.

Even before the spiders showed up it was considered a massacre.

Spiders under the control of Laurentius OR DID WE CONVENIENTLY FORGET that this motherfucker released "something" that coincided with the spiders showing up.

Even before the spiders showed up it was considered a massacre.

And as you can see by Laurentius and Yuyuhase's clothes, they had people on the inside to help.

1. The spell didn't kill Papalymo because it took all his aether. Papalymo killed himself because the spell involves invoking a primal summoning and then committing suicide before it fully manifests.

This seems to be a rather slipshod way to justify the completely arbitrary appearance of the sealing spell and Tupsimati.

For one, it's objectively poor writing because it requires knowledge of info that's only established in the Final Coil of Bahamut, and at no point is Louisoix becoming Phoenix or the methodology of such ever established in a satisfactory way in the main story. At best, there's one, maybe two lines of dialogue mentioning it in the paragraphs of overly long text.

For two, the dialogue that occurs post-cutscene rather explicitly describes how the spell is fatal because it requires all of the caster's aether. Nowhere is it mentioned that Papalymo was attempting to invoke a Phoenix-like primal entity, nor is it mentioned that dying as a Primal and then releasing the aether back to the land like Louisoix is something that occurred. Papalymo having to become a primal to perform the sealing spell should be a big plot point, and yet it's mentioned nowhere, which either means no one actually knows how the sealing spell works, or more likely the sealing spell doesn't necessitate such a thing.

2. The Rhalgr primal had used the aether from the dead bodies and Nidhogg's Eyes. He didn't pull from ambient aether. When something dies a violent death, its aether bursts out in a violent way and creates crystals. Mass deaths are just as usable for summoning a primal as crystals are.

That still doesn't explain why this Primal takes an arbitrarily long amount of time to form when pretty much every other primal summoning was more or less instantaneous as long as sufficient aether was present. Either there's enough aether for it to materialize, or there isn't.

If anything, this just presents more contradiction; why couldn't they utilize the aether released from the deaths? There are only two possibilities to this: Either the primal has already absorbed all of the aether from the deaths and the Eye (in which case there's literally no reason for it to not materialize unless there simply wasn't enough aether, which is frankly a hilarious miscalculation on the part of everyone present), or the primal hasn't absorbed the aether and said aether should be perfectly usable by Papalymo.

Either the aether is already absorbed by the primal, or it's ambient. Even if we go with the explanation that primals are like black holes and aether is like light and the aether was in the process of being absorbed and could not be drawn to any other location, that raises all sorts of questions that poke even more holes in how primals are summoned in the first place.

3. This is a primal of the Twelve, with so much faith backing it and aether from both of Nidhogg's eyes that it would be vastly more powerful than King Thordan was. It could possibly be as bad as Bahamut, given that he's also the Destroyer.

It's repeated constantly that summoning a primal requires a specific prayer; faith by itself is insufficient, and faith and prayer are not the same thing. Louisoix, Thordan, and the Binding Coil story all thoroughly establish that there needs to be a prayer containing a wish or desire. This is a fairly specific requirement.

In Louisoix's case, it was the combatants of Carteneau praying to be saved from Bahamut.

Louisoix: This drifting energy responded to the prayers of those fighting below─and to my own desperate wish that the dying realm be saved─by infusing me with the power of a primal.

Louisoix: I became the immortal Phoenix, ancient symbol of rebirth.

In Thordan's case, it was a millennium of fervent prayer instilled in the Ishgardian people for salvation from the dragons.

King Thordan: By taking unto my flesh the soul of the legendary King Thordan, I am become a god—A god who knows not cessation, whose being is sustained by a millennium of fervent prayer and the Eye's nigh bottomless reservoir of aether.

The Binding Coil too, housed hundreds of Meracydian dragons held in stasis. The Allagans held the dragons in stasis so they would constantly pray for salvation, thus keeping Bahamut materialized to harvest energy from.

My whole point behind this is that the Rhalgr primal couldn't have possibly been powerful enough to necessitate a sealing spell if we consider that the only ones praying for Rhalgr's salvation (or alternatively, praying for Rhalgr to destroy their enemies) were the Ala Mhigans dead or dying on the Wall. And this is where the entire thing gets hazy and the whole "primal summoning" thing falls apart due to Square's lack of detail on the subject; were the Garleans' prayers included as well? Does the power of a primal depend on the amount of prayer or just the amount of aether?

And yet, those war machines are heavily implied to have been activated and released by Laurentius, which just pokes more holes in the issue.

A). How did the Resistance forces even breach the Wall in the first place?

If we assume that Laurentius and Yuyuhase helped the Resistance forces enter the Wall, then Garlemald's security is hilariously bad, because this means that the "take a uniform, infiltrate stronghold" trick worked on them twice on two major military installations (Castrum Centri and now the Wall). Garlemald has a habit of conscripting conquered peoples, but apparently doesn't check to make sure they're not saboteurs or infiltrators.

B). If the Garleans had sufficient force to defeat the rebels, then why did the rebels only lose when Laurentius activated the killdroids?

The Garleans were losing decisively before Laurentius activated his killdroids (as evidenced by everything Garlean being dead or destroyed before said droids were activated). The heavy implication is that the Resistance would have successfully taken the wall had said killdroids not been activated, which still says that Garlemald is laughably bad at their border defence.

C). Why was Laurentius put in charge of activating the killdroids in the first place?

If these killdroids were Garlean forces, why weren't they immediately activated when the wall is attacked and immediately become anti-resistance gore machines? If Laurentius and Yuyuhase deliberately delayed the activation of the killdroids, then why were two random grunts who were definitely not Garlean officers put in charge of the killdroids? And why are Garlean military installations just so damn easy to infiltrate?

At this point I'm basically complaining about nothing because really, who cares. Papalymo dying has no emotional weight at all considering he was basically totally absent throughout the entirety of Heavensward and he definitely wasn't relevant at all in ARR either except as Yda's sidekick, so whatever.

I hope Stormblood has better writing.

It's probably not Rhalgr, or as we know him guys. Sadly enough ENG text got shafted /again/ as usual, but Ilberd speaks of a new God who doesn't need praying to. Unless he's going the better, stronger, faster route with Rhalgr and comes up with a 2.0 version, its probably something new.

(that said, would be awesome if it was Rhalgr, but that logically seen would cause so much drama in Eorzea. Religion would be shattered everywhere if the Twelve could just be summoned like that. Garlemald was right and all that, next to that.)