[Spoilers] 3.56 MSQ Talk spoilers here.

Kage

The last cutscene says the battle did considerable damage "to the area"... so it could well be further into Ala Mhigan land over a lake, but no telling for sure.

*tinfoil conspiracy hat*

The Viceroy is Lyse's father and/or the nephew of Theodric (Theodred).

*end tinfoil*

Also I had to lawl at the name of the achievement you get. "Five Minutes of Fate"... it certainly felt like it took about that long to finish this patch's MSQ... :\

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*tinfoil conspiracy hat*

*end tinfoil*

His middle name, 'yae', signifies that he's in the Imperial line of succession. I guess it's possible for them to do another Nael situation, but I have a hard time believing Varis wouldn't recognize someone masquerading as his blood relative.

And Theodred is Widargelt.

The last cutscene says the battle did considerable damage "to the area"... so it could well be further into Ala Mhigan land over a lake, but no telling for sure.

*tinfoil conspiracy hat*

*end tinfoil*

Also I had to lawl at the name of the achievement you get. "Five Minutes of Fate"... it certainly felt like it took about that long to finish this patch's MSQ... :\

We already know who Theodred is. Lore Book.

I'm a little ticked off that Omega's the reason we're going to Ala Mhigo and not "Shit we've left these folks to rot for twenty years". It's treated like a goddamn afterthought.

Hopefully things will change during Stormblood itself.

Also I totally called the Yda/Lyse situation.

It's worth noting that Heavensward had almost the exact same set-up: going to Ishgard was purely reactionary after the bullhockey that was the Sultana business (and the Warrior of Light inexplicably not having any of their weapons and not turning the Crystal Braves into unrecognisable piles of gore).

One of the things I wish would change about how Square Enix does its story telling is making the protagonists proactive rather than reactive.

I think the primal's form was explained -- because of the use of Nidhogg's eyes, and Ilberd's desire to bring a calamity upon the Garleans as well (given that the last calamity in living memory involved a great dragon, it's only suitable that the summoned 'calamitous' primal would be one as well). I never expected it to be Rhalgr or something even remotely griffin-y. I DID wonder if it would have been a super mega angst Ilberd power thing, but I'm okay with the construction that happened to bring Shinryu into fourteen! I mean, I'm not expecting award winning storytelling here, I was okay with what I would have expected from a Final Fantasy game.

Also, when they pelted off, one fell short and the other kept going (I think shin went further?). Do you reckon that we'll see one in Ala Mhigo and the other one in Othard? Or something silly like that?

I'm hoping we see the damage from that big summoned tidal wave on the other side of the wall. It'd be a really cool touch. If they do that, I'll twist and bend and suspend my disbelief as to why all of that didn't go crashing over the wall and flood the East Shroud as well. Tho...I also know they did that because it's easier to have sky and sea as a backdrop instead of the general topography of an unreleased area. Lel.

Overall, it was a tad underwhelming, but a very gentle and cautious lead in that they can easily follow up from. I AM DISAPPOINTED IN THE LACK OF A HUGE STINGER IN THE END (Xenos' DSL don't count), but honestly, I rather this than a MASSIVE FIASCO that 70% of gets dropped or left unresolved in the next expansion. I don't want that again. Also, that outfit is cute AF save for the shoes. 

Waiting patiently to see more on Ala Mhigo, and I'll put my trust in them to show me a good time.

I think the primal's form was explained -- because of the use of Nidhogg's eyes, and Ilberd's desire to bring a calamity upon the Garleans as well (given that the last calamity in living memory involved a great dragon, it's only suitable that the summoned 'calamitous' primal would be one as well). I never expected it to be Rhalgr or something even remotely griffin-y. I DID wonder if it would have been a super mega angst Ilberd power thing, but I'm okay with the construction that happened to bring Shinryu into fourteen! I mean, I'm not expecting award winning storytelling here, I was okay with what I would have expected from a Final Fantasy game.

Also, when they pelted off, one fell short and the other kept going (I think shin went further?). Do you reckon that we'll see one in Ala Mhigo and the other one in Othard? Or something silly like that?

I'm hoping we see the damage from that big summoned tidal wave on the other side of the wall. It'd be a really cool touch. If they do that, I'll twist and bend and suspend my disbelief as to why all of that didn't go crashing over the wall and flood the East Shroud as well. Tho...I also know they did that because it's easier to have sky and sea as a backdrop instead of the general topography of an unreleased area. Lel.

Overall, it was a tad underwhelming, but a very gentle and cautious lead in that they can easily follow up from. I AM DISAPPOINTED IN THE LACK OF A HUGE STINGER IN THE END (Xenos' DSL don't count), but honestly, I rather this than a MASSIVE FIASCO that 70% of gets dropped or left unresolved in the next expansion. I don't want that again. Also, that outfit is cute AF save for the shoes. 

Waiting patiently to see more on Ala Mhigo, and I'll put my trust in them to show me a good time.

The shoes are the best part ex fucking scuse you?

That outfit is offensive on fem highlanders. Like they were forced into some shitty anime. Like please Tataru, you make such bad ass battle outfits for people, why do we need to go back to high school ;_;

It does look good on cutesy races though. Not so much on buff women. The male version is a lot less offensive though, the jacket actually looks good on about most races so far I've seen.

UHvNgzG.png

- Gosetsu is surprising for a couple of reasons: 1) he's the coolest character introduced since ARR and 2) He's got hyuran skintones and doesn't seem to be a roe despite obviously being a roe model. Smacks of Nero being an elezen skeleton

I'm pretty sure he's just a Doman Roegadyn who looks "so different" because he's a Unique Character and because he's Doman, not Hellsguard or Sea Wolf. Doman Hyur are supposed to be their own clan apart from Midlanders and Highlanders too, right? I'd be kind of annoyed if they just made an important character with a generic model.

As an aside, I'm almost convinced the funny black nose the Hellsguard have is makeup or something anyway, because Solkzagyl's a Sea Wolf and yet he has the nose (and I'm miffed the lore book doesn't even touch on that, or take the opportunity to point out if he's mixed-clan)

It feels very silly and contrived for Eorzea to suddenly be picking a fight with Garlemald.

Ala Mhigo exists geographically within the boundaries of Eorzea and spiritually under the sovereignty of the Twelve. Eorzea, as a collective which includes Ala Mhigo, is not picking a fight with Garlemald; they are belatedly defending themselves.

Also I was under the impression that Gosetsu was supposed to be just a really big Hyur.

Maybe it's just me really wishing we'd finally get an important Roegadyn male NPC (or even just a regularly reoccurring Roegadyn in general who doesn't die one patch later) but I just don't see it. His beard even grows like a Roegadyn's. He doesn't look that different.

If he does turn out to just be a big hyur then I'll just eat my hat, and my feelings

I'm a little ticked off that Omega's the reason we're going to Ala Mhigo and not "Shit we've left these folks to rot for twenty years". It's treated like a goddamn afterthought.

To be fair, I'm sure a lot of Eorzeans aren't exactly eager to go to war on behalf of a people that once tried to invade and conquer them.

To be fair, I'm sure a lot of Eorzeans aren't exactly eager to go to war on behalf of a people that once tried to invade and conquer them.

Yeah... ICly Solenne is not thrilled about helping Ala Mhigo. Their history with the Alliance nations was already super rocky before the resistance decided to start shit on the border. The whole reason Ala Mhigans refugees are mistreated throughout much of Eorzea is because Eorzeans have long memories and don't care to help the people who tried to conquer them.

Conversely, the geopolitical unity ultimately resulting in the modern Eorzean Alliance only exists because of Ala Mhigo's invasion of Gridania and Ishgard's intervention. Also the widespread commercial use of chocobos.

Ala Mhigans doing stupid things and accidentally causing positive results seems to be an ongoing trend.

From where does all the flood came from? With a bit of imagination, I could guess it comes from the surroundings of the Shroud, that is as you might have noticed, a rather wet area. For all we know there is a lake somewhere near at the bottom of Gyr Abania. It looks wrong the way it's done only because we don't know of such a location and haven't seen one around (yet).

And maybe the dragon is just a fucking huge water aspected crystal and MAGICKS, SON...

It's worth noting that Heavensward had almost the exact same set-up: going to Ishgard was purely reactionary after the bullhockey that was the Sultana business (and the Warrior of Light inexplicably not having any of their weapons and not turning the Crystal Braves into unrecognisable piles of gore).

One of the things I wish would change about how Square Enix does its story telling is making the protagonists proactive rather than reactive.

The WoL could have reduced them to a bloody pulp, and I had the same reaction for like, 5s when it happened in 2.55. But it actually shows that the WoL is not an idiot is not going to throw it like Raubahn under a fit of rage and play directly in the hands of their enemies, in the middle of everyone.

That was actually a wise move to do.

And... proactive? Sure, give me back 1.0 story. Was thousand times above the shonen we have been getting since ARR.

Gosetsu is obviously a roegadyn model, with a specific, unique face.

The same way Lyse/Yda is a midlander with a unique face.

The same way Raubahn is a highlander with a unique face.

The same way Yugiri is a Raen with a unique face and scale gradient.

etc etc

Unique NPCs tend to have unique faces specifically tailored due to their prominence in the storyline.

Conversely, the geopolitical unity ultimately resulting in the modern Eorzean Alliance only exists because of Ala Mhigo's invasion of Gridania and Ishgard's intervention. Also the widespread commercial use of chocobos.

Ala Mhigans doing stupid things and accidentally causing positive results seems to be an ongoing trend.

Though the Eorzean Alliance was just a thing of a time, a war coalition more than anything, before it collapsed just when the Mighans were beaten eventually. The modern version of it, a long lasting one, but fragile one, is very recent.

It took decades for it to be rebuilt, and it's one of the themes of 1.0. When 1.0 starts, they are really depicted as isolated and bickering free cities that don't care much for each other.

1.0 was also a lot more harsh with Ala-Migho overall. They were depicted by Minfillia as "having done their best to repel the Garlean invasion, only to find their iron blades and their modest magicks to be no match for Empire's machina." Without speaking about their civil war, or course.

But when you see the actual Ala-Mighan resistance in 1.0, it's almost laughable. They are depicted as desperate people with barely their clothes on their shoulders and dressing like animals, only armed like peasants. And then they go try to steal an airship to supposedly go do damage and free their city (a single garlean airship? lol?), because the only thing they have for themselves is nothing more to lose and a true despair calling, so thick you can actually feel it. They don't even start to even comprehend the power they are facing, and when they all get slaughtered by Baelsar, they speak of disbanding the Resistance already.

Lyse says Yda died 6 years ago but honestly I'm wondering...Did she really?

She makes a point to say it's not really clear what caused her death it was just assuming she had been overwhelmed by imperialists is my understanding, plus the story seems to make a point of having these plot twists create some impact but you the hero had no indication Yda was behaving different, even those present in 1.0 are uncertain if they ever met the real Yda.

I don't know, part of me suspects we will be seeing another twist to the Yda/Lyse story