Balmung is open!

Blue

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg...I lurked on the "refresh server" button right into the home stretch before the patch and got IN...!  BALMUNG!  SCORE!!!  It's kinda like Charlie's gold ticket in the chocolate bar...but...you know, I don't think I'm gonna get a factory at the end of the movie...

Cheers...and have fun, before they pull the plug...

I created a character, but the names I chose were already taken. Not even 3 name attempts later, character creation was closed off.

7 minutes.

7 minutes after the maintenance was scheduled to end.

That's how long I had to create a character.

7 fucking minutes.

That is fucking disgusting. Fuck this game.

Seven minutes?

Good grief.

That's why the last time I got in, I just went all gung-ho. I have every slot filled with a name and at least a level-1 character for it, from appearance data I'd saved and had ready to roll.

Of course, I will probably end up trying to delete one to make an Au Ra come the expansion, and be in the same boat as everyone else. I hope, hope, hope that SE does a better job of allowing paying customers (many of whom on Balmung supported them since 1.0) to make their new alts then than they had for the past few weeks.

I created a character, but the names I chose were already taken. Not even 3 name attempts later, character creation was closed off.

7 minutes.

7 minutes after the maintenance was scheduled to end.

That's how long I had to create a character.

7 fucking minutes.

That is fucking disgusting. Fuck this game.

I heard rumors they finished the patch about an hour early. Sadly, this is basically the stat Balmung is in. I know there were some people who camped at the character creation screen just before the patch started. (Sitting at the "pick a server" screen) and as shown above, others who got lucky right as the patch went live.

I also know a handful of existing players who had their computers/consoles ready for the exact moment the server was turned back on.

As Blue said though, we are almost surely guaranteed some emergency maintenance at some point. SE has a few known bugs so far, and with any major patch, there are likely more.

Cavistus. At this point, you shouldn't be wasting your money not playing the game. It may be better to pick another server that's more open. While there are higher RPer concentrations on Balmung and Gilgamesh, that doesn't mean RPers don't exist elsewhere. Games are meant to be enjoyed.

That's why the last time I got in, I just went all gung-ho. I have every slot filled with a name and at least a level-1 character for it...

I was just thinking this same thing this morning.

As soon as the server is open, just create all the alts you can. Do not even bother with names or appearance. Fill your slots, then go back and buy fantasia and name changes as you decide to use them.

Yes, it's a bad situation, but you make the best of what you can.

In the interest of rolling new alts on Balmung... is it worth it to look into a World Transfer? From the FAQ page, I was under the impression that people would also be barred if the character creation limit was reached on the world. Have people still been able to get in, even during closed hours?

*Continues to hit refresh anyway*

In the interest of rolling new alts on Balmung... is it worth it to look into a World Transfer? From the FAQ page, I was under the impression that people would also be barred if the character creation limit was reached on the world. Have people still been able to get in, even during closed hours?

*Continues to hit refresh anyway*

I have never transferred a character, but its definitely my understanding that transfers are always possible (you get what you pay for..! ^^)

It's hit and miss. Character transfers do get turned off occasionally, but they do have a much higher chance of success. The downside? They cost money :

It's hit and miss. Character transfers do get turned off occasionally, but they do have a much higher chance of success. The downside? They cost money :<

Yeah, unfortunately I work fairly early in the mornings already, so can't really justify getting up extremely early on a 'maybe' for being able to roll on the servers, let alone staying up that late... So I might have to bite the bullet and pay for it anyway, less stress that way I think.

*sigh*

SE really needs to fix this before the expansion comes out. With a new race and three new classes available, they'll be handing out free game time when the lobby servers melt down (again) unless they address this server lock issue.

For what it's worth, when I checked this morning at 7am, every server was open except Balmung. Gilgamesh is another great server choice that's usually more available -- and you can always world transfer later if you want.

Do people still post in this thread when the registration opens?  I'd appreciate the alert.  I keep hearing the prime time to get into Balmung is like 5am EST?  Is this still the case?  Help! I had a legacy character on Balmung but I deleted her because I wanted to start fresh and to my surprise I couldn't even play last night because of it. R.I.P.

Do people still post in this thread when the registration opens?  I'd appreciate the alert.  I keep hearing the prime time to get into Balmung is like 5am EST?  Is this still the case?  Help! I had a legacy character on Balmung but I deleted her because I wanted to start fresh and to my surprise I couldn't even play last night because of it. R.I.P.

They sure do! ...it's been very crazy since 2.5 because all the players that normally only subscribe for new content have returned. So many some zones in the game actually became full and people couldn't enter parts of certain cities.

Balmung is generally open between about 5-9 EST, from my experience. (so when all us PST players are supposed to be sleeping).

Unfortunately, I don't know if there is any solution that is actually better. In World of Warcraft, Moon Guard being the most popular role-playing server, it was a very full server. Often times it would be locked. In that game, people could still make characters freely on a locked server, but only if they already had a character on that server already.

If Final Fantasy were to do it the same way World of Warcraft would do it, we wouldn't be seeing a lot of new faces. But I am not being too imaginative here. Perhaps there could be some other way but for the most part I see this as a necessary evil. SE has to implement population control of some kind because of how big Balmung is.

It would have been nice if we had gotten RP tagged servers...

For me, I've been able to make alts, generally 5 minutes prior to close down for a maintenance. So, what I do suggest doing is make a character prior, save the appearance, know what birth day and class you want, either slam that random name key or type in the one you want.

Done.

Its how I've been able to as of late.