Maintenance Rage Thread

I'm gonna go saunter off and get some more food because I ate the food that I had prepared for this morning when I wanted to play a bit and I'm hungry again. 

On a side note: When I try to watch the opening movie displayed at the start menu of the game I only get the bottom half of the screen. The top half is cut off with a black screen. Is that normal?

No

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note: When I try to watch the opening movie displayed at the start menu of the game I only get the bottom half of the screen. The top half is cut off with a black screen. Is that normal?

I learned how to fix that, actually! It's a bug with one of the Windows updates. You need to uninstall update KB2803821. (Note that this fix I found is for Windows 7.)

KB2803821 (or KB 2834904 if you're using WinXP) was intended to fix a security problem with WMV video playback - but unfortunately it also breaks WMV playback so the upper half of your video is black.

Since many games use WMV videos for cut-scenes, this have caused problems for many gamers.

IF you see this problem then I suggest uninstalling KB2803821 and hiding it so it won't be automatically reinstalled.

You can uninstall it from Control Panel -> System and Security -> View installed updates (it's under Windows Updates)Search for KB2803821 in the list and right click it to uninstall it.

To hide the update you must set Windows Updates to notify you of updates, but not automatically install them.

This can be done from Control Panel -> System and Security -> Turn automatic updating on or off (it's under Windows Updates) and selecting "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" or "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Then open Windows Update and check for updates .. wait .. and open important updates, find KB2803821 and right click it and choose to hide it.

It will never bother you again.

If you don't have this problem just keep the security update installed and wait for

Microsoft to make a proper working patch - it's safer. Also don't download WMV video from shady sites and don't use Internet Explorer because it will display WMV video on webpages - other browsers won't.

I learned how to fix that, actually! It's a bug with one of the Windows updates. You need to uninstall update KB2803821. (Note that this fix I found is for Windows 7.)

KB2803821 (or KB 2834904 if you're using WinXP) was intended to fix a security problem with WMV video playback - but unfortunately it also breaks WMV playback so the upper half of your video is black.

Since many games use WMV videos for cut-scenes, this have caused problems for many gamers.

IF you see this problem then I suggest uninstalling KB2803821 and hiding it so it won't be automatically reinstalled.

You can uninstall it from Control Panel -> System and Security -> View installed updates (it's under Windows Updates)Search for KB2803821 in the list and right click it to uninstall it.

To hide the update you must set Windows Updates to notify you of updates, but not automatically install them.

This can be done from Control Panel -> System and Security -> Turn automatic updating on or off (it's under Windows Updates) and selecting "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" or "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Then open Windows Update and check for updates .. wait .. and open important updates, find KB2803821 and right click it and choose to hide it.

It will never bother you again.

If you don't have this problem just keep the security update installed and wait for

Microsoft to make a proper working patch - it's safer. Also don't download WMV video from shady sites and don't use Internet Explorer because it will display WMV video on webpages - other browsers won't.

A very helpfull post, kudos to you pall.

GW2's launch was actually the smoothest I've ever seen. The auction house was bugged out and we couldn't fully use it for like a week, but I think that was the worst part about it. I don't recall ever being kicked out for a bunch of "emergency maintenances" and I don't remember anybody complaining that dungeons weren't working. Just that they were too hard.

I seem to vaguely remember a weekend where there was some big issue, not the auction house thing

If I remember correctly one of the biggest issues with the GW2 launch was not being able to get in the same overflow as your group members. A friend and I spent a few hours trying to get in the same overflow only for us to become frustrated and give up trying to play together for awhile.

GW2's launch was actually the smoothest I've ever seen. The auction house was bugged out and we couldn't fully use it for like a week, but I think that was the worst part about it. I don't recall ever being kicked out for a bunch of "emergency maintenances" and I don't remember anybody complaining that dungeons weren't working. Just that they were too hard.

I seem to vaguely remember a weekend where there was some big issue, not the auction house thing

If I remember correctly one of the biggest issues with the GW2 launch was not being able to get in the same overflow as your group members. A friend and I spent a few hours trying to get in the same overflow only for us to become frustrated and give up trying to play together for awhile.

Oh yeah, I remember those issues with the overflow. Dungeons were also unplayable for awhile because of issues with instancing and that you never landed in the same one, or very very rarely.

Anyone else unable to retrieve the NA/EU server list atm?

Aye. Here. I'm switching from "World is full /gtfo out of here" to "Unable to retrieve NA/EU character list"

Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember that being a big issue. People were put into overflows individually rather than as groups. It took them a while to fix it, too.

Yep.  Once again, I get a queue.  Then at the end of the queue, the world is full and it boots me back out.  I try to go back in.  World full.  I try again.  Can't even see the NA/EU servers.

I'm seriously ready to give up.  *sighs*  Back to WoW.

1vn6.jpg

So far I have played for a few hours with out being kick off, an those few hours were awesome sauce all the way. The world looks aaahhhmazing. BUT I keep getting kicked off, or the server list isn't up or the world is full an wont give me a q! It was fun standing in lines lol the banter was entertaining!

They were doing that last night. Also after countless relaunching of the FF14 Client I'm finally in a legitimate que to login Position in line? 95

I wouldn't trust it if I were you.  I've been in a queue 4 or 5 times.  Every time, at the end of the queue, I get "world is full please try again later."

I am going through withdrawals and I need my fix!

>.o if you ever post another WoW picture here again, I will find your character and give them the evilest stare that SE will allow my character to give.

Oh a less threatening note...this really sucks. SE needs to get it's act together. I have been pretty understanding because its new servers, but they had all of P4, the week after, and the last 2 days and four of five maintenance's to figure this out. School starts tomorrow and it is kind of my last day of freedom to sit back and enjoy and now I get to stare at a login screen...I am going to go outside and get stung by a bee or hit by a car..and it will be all your fault SE!! /temper tantrum

I am going through withdrawals and I need my fix!

>.o if you ever post another WoW picture here again, I will find your character and give them the evilest stare that SE will allow my character to give.

Oh a less threatening note...this really sucks. SE needs to get it's act together. I have been pretty understanding because its new servers, but they had all of P4, the week after, and the last 2 days and four of five maintenance's to figure this out. School starts tomorrow and it is kind of my last day of freedom to sit back and enjoy and now I get to stare at a login screen...I am going to go outside and get stung by a bee or hit by a car..and it will be all your fault SE!! /temper tantrum

Really not threatened.  Extremely frustrated at the moment.  So don't care.  At least I can log into WoW.  At least I can play something I'm paying for.

What about Rift? :3

VSPbOud.jpg

It's a hell of a lot better than trying to log in to a game that probably won't let me do instances anyway. >_< Squee really better straighten this shit out soon...

Honestly as far as MMO launches go this still isn't the worst i've seen plus from what i've heard WoW,Diablo 3,and SimCity were all far worse at launch >.< I really don't think the pitch forks and torches need to be pulled out yet. Plus they are working their asses off to make good on all this. So honestly i'm no longer,and am gonna wait it out. It's the only action most of us can take,and the most mature. Raging isn't gonna fix it, Or do anyone good on either side.