Maintenance Rage Thread

Just as an addendum, I don't think this happens with every MMO launch; Old Republic didn't experience any major connectivity or downtime when it came out.  I think Guild Wars 2 was fairly stable as well.

It's a popular 'defense' to say that every MMO experiences outages on release day, but in my experience that was primarily a WoW thing and due in no small part to a far bigger population.  

I'm not saying that they're not 'justified' in experiencing some problems, but I think in their case with prior working knowledge of what an MMO release takes (FFXI and FFXIV before ARR) they have less of an excuse.  Bringing down a server once is fine, bringing it down repeatedly for the same issue becomes problematic.  This stage is critical for Square-Enix to prove that they've learned the mistakes of the past and corrected for them, even more so because there will be a subscription involved.  Companies such as IGN, Gamespot, and others are playing right now as well and these problems will be reflected in their reviews.  

Even the legendary issues of Diablo 3 were corrected after a few hours of maintenance.  I would rather FFXIV be down for one large, six hour chunk than down 3-4 times at 1-2 hours each time.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as an addendum, I don't think this happens with every MMO launch; Old Republic didn't experience any major connectivity or downtime when it came out.  I think Guild Wars 2 was fairly stable as well.

It's a popular 'defense' to say that every MMO experiences outages on release day, but in my experience that was primarily a WoW thing and due in no small part to a far bigger population.  

I'm not saying that they're not 'justified' in experiencing some problems, but I think in their case with prior working knowledge of what an MMO release takes (FFXI and FFXIV before ARR) they have less of an excuse.  Bringing down a server once is fine, bringing it down repeatedly for the same issue becomes problematic.  This stage is critical for Square-Enix to prove that they've learned the mistakes of the past and corrected for them, even more so because there will be a subscription involved.  Companies such as IGN, Gamespot, and others are playing right now as well and these problems will be reflected in their reviews.  

Even the legendary issues of Diablo 3 were corrected after a few hours of maintenance.  I would rather FFXIV be down for one large, six hour chunk than down 3-4 times at 1-2 hours each time.

You must be joking. Swtor had more than a few problems on launch, not to mention it's overal performance and especially in ilum. GW2 wasn't perfect either, but they did a very controlled launch so it went slightly smoother.

I just kept relogging into the game, eventually the servers popped up. I expected morre issues as an EU player personally...

On the bright side, PS3 players can use their usb keyboards to take screenshots! I kept getting a 'failed' notice before, no matter what. Seems it's working now, could just be a coincidence, but there you go.

Keep trying though! Perseverance seems to work!

This stage is critical for Square-Enix to prove that they've learned the mistakes of the past and corrected for them, even more so because there will be a subscription involved.

There are definitely MMOs who have handled their stuff better than this. When you look at the disparity between the experiences JP and NA servers are having, it becomes even more of a hair-puller.

And yes, there is more pressure on Squee to get it right this time around, considering the crash-fest that was 1.0's launch.

But this is what they get for not fully testing their game because they were determined to stick with an August 27th launch date so all their release-day sales could go on their Q3 financial report.

This is all some kind of sick psychology test to see how much NA/EU players will complain over trivial matters like they're the most important things in the world. <.<

If this was their first launch of the game, I think that would be a fair statement, but they already had their practice run with 1.0

I'm cool; I know new games have their issues, hell I was part of the 1.0 debacle. However this is starting to get a bit ridiculous, I'd be okay if it was just the login servers/duty finder; but to have to deal with their website being a complete waste of resources on top of it peeves me. 

I have received more updates and information from the RPC than I have by trying to battle the slow load times of their website or the lack of Dev posts about anything minus PS3 code crap. 

Keep the updates coming people, I really appreciate it!

You must be joking. Swtor had more than a few problems on launch, not to mention it's overal performance and especially in ilum. GW2 wasn't perfect either, but they did a very controlled launch so it went slightly smoother.

Ilum was the final planet in the game; most players didn't get to it until weeks into the release.  That is hardly a 'day one' server uptime problem as is experienced here.  Guild Wars and Old Republic both staggered their deployment of users out for this reason - it eases the congestion experienced in new player zones.

Again, I'm not trying to say that a game must be released without bugs, foibles, or annoyances - but the release a game in which there are multiple outages, each between one and three hours, on the "early access" portion is a little more than what several recent MMO's have experienced.  This is a crucial period for the longevity of the game, because friends will be recommending this to one another and editorials related to the stability and 'support' of the game may turn negative.  Additionally, a game that has a F2P model can justify difficulties but one that carries a subscription fee won't be able to do the same.

It is the "early access" part that worries me as technically the game will receive another boost in congested populations and resource strain during the actual release window.

Ilum was the final planet in the game; most players didn't get to it until weeks into the release.  That is hardly a 'day one' server uptime problem as is experienced here.  Guild Wars and Old Republic both staggered their deployment of users out for this reason - it eases the congestion experienced in new player zones.

Again, I'm not trying to say that a game must be released without bugs, foibles, or annoyances - but the release a game in which there are multiple outages, each between one and three hours, on the "early access" portion is a little more than what several recent MMO's have experienced.  This is a crucial period for the longevity of the game, because friends will be recommending this to one another and editorials related to the stability and 'support' of the game may turn negative.  Additionally, a game that has a F2P model can justify difficulties but one that carries a subscription fee won't be able to do the same.

It is the "early access" part that worries me as technically the game will receive another boost in congested populations and resource strain during the actual release window.

You are reading my post very selectively. If you read carefully it would be clear that I said it was but one of many problems. On swtor's launch there were instability issues, even memory leaks that damaged the game for people and made them experience horrendous lag, even after the fix for some time.

SWTOR was anything BUT a good launch

$!#@%!@%!%^!^!%& FUGGIN CAN'T LOG IN $#%!$^%!$# NO SERVER LIST *&(*#@!@#$#% RAAAUGHARGLE SNARL $@!$^%%&*@%$!!!

*Try again*

URRGH RRRAGHIM FRAGGIN RASSUM #$@!$^!%&!!

*Repeat as necessary*

D'aww.. For some reason I can't help but imagine a miqo'te flailing and stamping her feet, blowing steam out of her nose every so often.